Business: Ken Ross Jewellers
Address: 200 High Street, Ashburton Vic 3147
Phone: (03) 9885 1833
Business Description: Gifts
Ken Ross started his business in 1954 (60 years ago). Originally Ken had worked for WJ & JD Wright, Watchmakers. Ken’s original business was situated at 184 High St. (corner of the Arcade where the Wynn Nails is currently located). In 1956 Ken married the local hairdresser and he and Elizabeth lived above the shop which they soon outgrew and moved down to where Skizzors was located, corner of Lexia St. (this was previously a cake shop and before that, Pincott’s the Chemist). Ken then moved the business to 200 High St. where he is now. This was a pastry cook’s shop. Ken knocked out the front and refurbished it 32 years ago. Ken’s shop is a veritable museum of watchmaking. There are watches and components that date back to 1418 and his business is the only shop outside the Swatch group that holds all the Omega spares. The business now employs two jewellers, one watchmaker and Ken is a watchmaker and jeweller. The business continues to do repairs for customers around the world including a number of clients in Papua New Guinea and possibly he’s most unusual customer was an American Navy captain who made a point of travelling out to Ashburton to get his watch fixed every time his ship called in at Melbourne.